Monday, February 14, 2011

WBW #70 -- Wine Blogging Wednesday

I almost left town without posting for WBW #70. This month's theme is 'wines from Spain' which is perfect as I am working on plans to skip down to Barcelona from Paris for a few days at the end of February. My travel consultant is getting tired of my chant that I want to go to Barcelona before anyplace else.

Details on WBW are here. It is an internet event started in 2004 by wine bloggers that spread like wild fire. They even let me host an event once. Once. I'm back!

I cheated a bit and dug through the cellar to find a bottle of Alvear, Pedro Ximenez Solera 1927 from the Montilla Moriles region. Cheated in the sense that I have covered this wine before so it is not new, but the wine is already old. Not a vintage from 1927, but there is a little piece of the 1927 vintage in every bottle as they blend subsequent batches of each vintage until they have a blend of the very old with the new. Jorge Ordonez is the importer and in my book that is a seal of approval.

It is unctious and dripping with balanced sweetness and all I can think of is that it is a dead ringer for Dave's 'Bread Pudding' at La Poste. I am not sure it would pair well because it is so dead on, and great pairings are similar but offer contrast, either more acidity or fruit or RS. Ying and Yang. This would be Ying and Ying.

So this is a rushed review, and a day early. My bad! If I get to Barcelona I will follow up with copious notes and photos from late night dinners. Just don't call during siesta time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home